Dr. Susan W. Miller
Professor of Pharmacy Practice
- B.S., Pharmacy, Mercer University
- Pharm.D., Mercer University
- Board Certified Geriatric Pharmacist
- Fellow of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists
- PHA 337 Biopharmaceuitcs and Pharmacokinetics
- PHA 361 Integrated Patient Care I
- PHA 571 Pediatric Pharmacy
Teaching, the verb, is a form of communication with several components. These components are to provide information to students, to pique interest in a topic, to instill a sense of self-motivated discovery, to assess learning at an appropriate level, and to provide feedback on the assessment. My philosophy of teaching is to communicate with students using all of these components; first to impart knowledge or skill (through lecture, demonstration, or background reading) and then to create memory or learning by providing examples or opportunities for experience (through actively engaging the student in an application or skill). Active learning requires that students have an interest in a topic and adopt the practice of self-motivated discovery. Assessment of learning is the component of teaching in that holds the learner accountable for what has been communicated by teaching, experience, and learning. The often overlooked component of teaching is that of communicating feedback to learners so that an awareness of gaps in their knowledge becomes apparent. Recognizing that knowledge is gained via several learning styles, it is important to provide alternative methods to address multiple learning styles.
As a teacher and a life-long learner, I have a responsibility to share what I have learned, not only with students under my tutelage, but with colleagues within the academic community. Teaching, the verb, is a form of communication — communication with both students and colleagues in the expectation that we all are learners in a community of scholars.
- Miller S.W., Lundquist L.M., (2020) “Impact of a Film on Student Pharmacists’ Views on Quality-of-Life and Aging.” American Journal of Pharmacy Education 2020; 84(4) 7628.
- Miller S.W., (2018) “History of Pharmacy: Pharmacy Education.” In Teaching History of Pharmacy to Meet AIHP Guidelines. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy; Alexandria, VA 2018.
- Advani A.A., Ashworth L., Barnett C.W., Miller S.W., Sachdeva V., (2014) “Assessment of Pharmacy Student Attitudes Regarding Professional Development Portfolios: Before and After Practitioners’ Roundtable Discussion.” Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2014; 6(3) 373-379.
- Lovett A.W., Miller S.W., Austin S., (2013) “Geriatric Care Coordination: Comparing the U.S., the U.K. and Japan.” European International Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 1(2) 150-166.
- Miller S.W., (2011) “When Medication Older Adults, What’s Most Important: Quality of Care or Quality of Life?” Generations Winter 2011/2012:35 (4).
- Miller S.W., (2011) “Academic Administration APPE – Expectation, Evidence, Reflection.” Let’s Think About It! 2011:12(3).
- Miller S.W., Miller M.S., (2011) “Urological Disorders in Men: Urinary Incontinence and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia” Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2011: 24 (4) 374-385.
- Nykamp D.N., Miller S.W., (2011) “Pharmacy Student and Preceptor Perceptions for the First Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience” Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 3 (2011) 9-16.
- Miller S.W., Darsey E., Heard T.J., Williams J., Kelly M., Norman A., Riet, L.B., (2010) “Outcomes of a Multidisciplinary Partnership to Improve Cardiac Wellness: An Opportunity for Pharmacists.” The Consultant Pharmacist. 2010; Vol 25. No.2. 105-116.
- Taylor L.F., Whittington R.J., Strasser D.C., Hennessey C.H., Miller S.W., Archea C. (2006) “Gender Differences in Chemical Restraint Use in a Nursing Home: Patterns of Psychotropic Drug Prescribing.” Journal of Aging and Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 13(2). 67-81.
- Coffey C.W., Barnett C.W., Miller S.W., Turberville-Vega V. (2005) “Students’ attitudes About Service-Learning: A Longitudinal Study.” Journal of Pharmacy Teaching. 2005; 12(2).51-68.
Selected Publications in Textbooks
- Miller S.W., (2019) “Clinical Scenario and Case Study” for Chapter on Sedative-Hypnotics. In Foye’s Principles of Medicinal Chemistry (8th ed) LWW; Philadelphia, PA. 2019.
- Miller S.W., (2018) “Urology – Urinary Incontinence” in Pharmacotherapy First: A Multimedia Learning Reference, APhA Publications, Washington, D.C. 2018.
- Miller SW., (2017) Chapter 7 “Therapeutic Drug Monitoring in the Geriatric Patient” in Clinical Pharmacokinetics (6th ed) American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists; Bethesda, MD. 2017.
- Miller SW., Chapter 2 “Ethical and Socioeconomic Considerations” in Fundamentals of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy; An Evidence-Based Approach 2nd American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists; Bethesda, MD. 2015.
- Miller S.W., (2012) “Therapeutic Drug Monitoring in the Geriatric Patient,” Chapter 5; in Murphy JE, ed: Clinical Pharmacokinetics , 5th ed. Bethesda, ASHP, 2012.
- Miller S.W., (2010) “Ethical and Socioeconomic Considerations” Chapter 2 in Hutchison LC, Sleeper RB, eds. Fundamentals of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy: An Evidence-Based Approach, 1st ed. Bethesda, ASHP, 2010.
- Miller S.W., Matthews H.W., (2008) “Developing Effective Communication Strategies” Chapter 5 in Chase PA, Hayes BE, Yanchick VA eds. Dean’s Compass: Practical Advice for Achieving Excellence , AACP, July, 2008.
- Miller S.W., Matthews H.W., (2008) “Overseeing the Accreditation Processes: ACPE and Regional Accreditation” Chapter 10 in Chase PA, Hayes BE, Yanchick VA eds. Dean’s Compass: Practical Advice for Achieving Excellence , AACP, July, 2008.
- Miller S.W., Matthews H. (2008) Chapter 10 “Overseeing the Accreditation Processes: ACPE and Regional Accreditation” in Dean’s Compass: Practical Advice for Achieving Excellence. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy; Alexandria, VA, 2008.
- Miller S.W., Matthews H. (2008) Chapter 5 “Developing Effective Communication Strategies” in Dean’s Compass: Practical Advice for Achieving Excellence. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy; Alexandria, VA. 2008.
- Miller S.W., (2006) Chapter 71 “Geriatric Drug Therapy” in Textbook of Therapeutics: Drug and Disease Management (8th ed) LWW, Baltimore, MD. 2006.
Contact Dr. Susan W. Miller