Dr. Nicole L. Metzger
Clinical Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
- Pharm.D., University of Georgia
- Pharmacy Practice Residency (PGY-1), Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
- Internal Medicine Specialty Residency (PGY-2), Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
- PHA 553 Pulmonary Disorders
- PHA 555 Infectious Diseases II
- PHA 670 Medicine Advance Pharmacy Practice Experience
The role of the professor in pharmacy education is changing. With the increasing reliance on technology for medication information dissemination, I believe the role of the pharmacy professor is to educate students by leading as an example. Instead of distilling information for students and disseminating that information through the lecture format, our focus should be on modeling how students need to use that information to best care for patients. These behaviors can be modeled in the classroom and experiential environments by demonstrating how pharmacists identify and resolve medication-related problems. Modeling our approach to problem solving is key to developing students’ critical thinking skills. Pharmacists use these skills on a daily basis to care for patients and run profitable businesses, and therefore, we owe it to our students to more effectively develop these skills for them prior to graduation.
We also can model other professional behaviors, such as efficient time management, synergistic teamwork, and effective communication skills. Students expect that we will meet the same expectations that we set forth for them and they should. We should develop activities that reinforce key concepts, meet deadlines, organize courses and course material logically, and put patient care above all else. How else can we train students to be the kind of practitioners we expect them to be?
- Murray TS, Metzger NL, Chesson MM, Walker SD. Refusal of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis and incidence of thrombosis in patients with cystic fibrosis. Pulmonary Research and Respiratory Medicine 2017;4(2):42-47.
- Metzger NL, Chesson MM, Momary KM. Simulated order verification and medication reconciliation during an Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience. Am J Pharm Educ 2015;79: Article 96.
- Metzger N, Paciullo C, Chesson MM, Jann MW, Glascock J, Emamifar A, Matthews HW. Unique collaboration between a private college of pharmacy and a private academic health system. Hosp Pharm. 2014;49 (7):634-638 DOI: 10.1310/hpj4907-634.
- Metzger NL, Shogbon AO. Effectiveness of institutional Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences at achieving instructional objectives. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2014; 6(5):667-74.
- Moye PM, Metzger NL, Matesic D. Modified team-based learning and long term retention in a large classroom setting. J Pharm Educ Res. 2012;3(2):1-6.
- Metzger NL, Francis KF, Voils SA, A comparative review of erythropoiesis stimulating agents. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2008;21:424-30.
- Metzger NL, Kockler DR. Gravatt LA, Confirmed b-16 arg/arg polymorphism in a patient with uncontrolled asthma. Ann Pharmacother 2008;42:874-81.
Contact Dr. Metzger