Dr. Candace Barnett
Executive Associate Dean
Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Distinguished Professor of Pharmacy Administration
- B.S., Pharmacy, Purdue University
- Ph.D., Pharmacy Health Care Administration, University of Florida
- PHA 303 Communication Skills for Pharmacists
- PHA 509 Introduction to Teaching
- PHA 531 Medical Ethics for Health Care Professionals
- PHA 682 Academic Administration
As a member of the faculty of Mercer University College of Pharmacy, I believe my role is to civilize students. I do not mean this in a pejorative way. What I do mean, is that I have a responsibility to cultivate thoughtful, experienced pharmacists.
I have found the majority of pharmacy students are eager to learn the content necessary to practice pharmacy, but they have not given thought to “how” they will practice pharmacy, how they will interact with patients and colleagues. And so through my teaching, I try to provide these young adults an opportunity or forum for such pause.
A faculty member for whom I have much respect once told me, “If you can read and write, you can teach yourself anything.” With guidance, our students can teach themselves content. The profession of pharmacy is moving rapidly toward mandatory demonstration of continued competence. Therefore, our students will become life-long learners out of necessity. I feel civility is one area where I and all faculty can perhaps influence the growth of students, both before they enter practice and in a way they would not necessarily have come to on their own.
- Barnett, C.W., (2011) Chapter 22 Negotiation Techniques. In M. Chisholm-Burns, A. Vaillancourt, M. Shepherd, (Eds.), Pharmacy management, leadership, marketing and finance (pp. 427-436), Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, LLC.
- Barnett C.W., (2008) Chapter 1 Entrepreneurism in Community Pharmacy, Chapter 5 Human Resources Management: Fair Employment Practices for interviewing and Hiring, Chapter 6 Legal Considerations in the Purchase of an Existing Pharmacy, Chapter 8 Marketing Clinical and Expanded Services in Community Pharmacy, Chapter 12 Location Analysis, Chapter 16 Managing Human Resources Following the Purchase of an Established Pharmacy. In NCPA Management Institute Education Series, Buying a Pharmacy, Alexandria VA: National Community Pharmacists Association.
- Barnett C.W., (2007) Chapter 2 Finding Suitable Candidates for the Purchase, Chapter 7 Legal Considerations in the Sale of a Pharmacy. In NCPA Management Institutes Education Series, Selling a Pharmacy. Alexandria VA: National Community Pharmacists Association.
- Barnett C.W., (2006) Finding a Buyer. America’s Pharmacist. May p. 26-28.
- Barnett C.W., (2005) Need for community pharmacist-provided food allergy education and auto-injectable epinephrine training. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 45: 479-485.