Dr. Kathryn M. Momary
Vice Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice
Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Pharm.D., University of Florida
- Pharmacy Practice Residency,University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy
- Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics/Pharmacogenomics Fellowship, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy
I believe that students should be challenged every day with well thought out teaching. It is unfair to expect students to perform at a higher level, when the people educating them choose not to.
I believe that students should be treated as people with individual needs, capabilities, and desires. In a large classroom setting, this is difficult, but allowing students to come and voice their concern as well as receive additional help can diffuse that problem.
I believe that pharmacy students should be taught from the beginning in a case-based clinically meaningful manner. Teaching clinical thought process is often left until 4th year; however this can be covered in the classroom through active learning case discussions.
I believe that professional students should be held to a very high standard. They will be expected to perform very difficult and challenging tasks everyday in their future careers. I thus believe that their education should be reflective of the challenging nature of their profession.
I believe that balancing these four things is where the challenge lies. I believe in consistency of teaching and consistency of expectations. This allows students to spend more time studying and preparing and less time questioning what is expected of them.
I am thankful every day for the opportunity to mentor future pharmacists and have an effect on the care they provide to patients for the rest of their career.
- Momary KM, Kimble LP. Factors Associated With Clopidogrel Adherence in Community-Dwelling Patients. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2015;epub ahead of print.
- Metzger NL, Momary KM. A patient with HIV and tuberculosis with diminished clopidogrel response. Int J STD AIDS. 2014;25(7):532-534. DOI: 10.1177/0956462413516099
- Superko RH, Momary KM, Li Y. Stains Personalized. Med Clin North Am. 2012 Jan;96(1):123-39.
- Superko HR, Momary KM, Pendyala LD, Williams PT, Frohwein S, Garrett BC, Skrifvars S, Gadesam R, King SB, Rolader S, Meyers B, Dusik D, Polite S. Firefighters, Heart Disease, and Aspects of Insulin Resistance: The FEMA Firefighter Heart Disease Prevention Study. J Occup Environ Med. 2011;53(7):758-764.
- Momary K.M., Cavallari L.H., Clopidogrel and Proton Pump Inhibitors: Between a Rock and a Hard Place. Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30(8):762-5.
- Momary K.M., Dorsch M.P., Factors Associated with Clopidogrel Non-Responsiveness. Future Cardiol. 2010;6(2):195-210.
- Momary K.M., Dorsch M.P., Bates E.R., Genetic Causes of Clopidogrel Non-Responsiveness: Which Ones Really Count? Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30:265-74.
- Aquilante C.L., Beitelshees A.L., Cavallari L.H., Lee C.R., Maciejewski S., Momary K.M., Vardeny O., Zineh I., Significant Articles in the Field of Cardiovascular Pharmacogenomics. Pharmacotherapy. 2009;29:1110-1151.
- Cavallari L.H., Momary K.M., Genomics and the Efficacy of Aspirin in the Treatment of Cerebrovascular Disease. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2009;11:191-200.
- Momary K.M., Shapiro N.L., Brace L.D., Shord S.S., Grossi E., Viana M.A., Helgason C.M., Nutescu E.A., Cavallari L.H., Influence of cyclooxygenase-1 genotype on ex-vivo aspirin response in patients at risk for stroke. J Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;27:585-593. Epub ahead of print 4/24/09.
- The International Warfarin Pharmacogenetics Consortium.* Estimation of the Warfarin Dose with Clinical and Pharmacogenetic data. New Engl J Med. 2009; 360(8):753-764. *Author and data contributor.
- King S.B., Momary K.M., Clopidogrel: Time for personalized therapy? J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2008;1(6):718-719. (editorial)
- Wang D., Chen H., Momary K.M., Cavallari L.H., Johnson J.A., Sadée W., Regulatory Polymorphism in Vitamin K epoxide Reductase Complex Subunit 1 (VKORC1) Affects Gene Expression and Warfarin Dose Requirement. Blood. 2008;112(4):1013-21.
- Momary K.M., Shapiro N.L., Viana M.A., Nutescu E.A., Helgason C.M., Cavallari L.H., Factors Influencing Warfarin Dose Requirements in African Americans. Pharmacogenomics. 2007;8:1535-1544.
Contact Dr. Kathryn M. Momary